Monday, June 21, 2010

Watermelon Turtle!

Oh, sweet summer time! Who doesn't love a cold sweet watermelon in the summer? Want to take a ordinary watermelon and turn it into something extraordinary? Meet Mr. Turtle!


This is my first turtle I ever made.

Last week I had the privilege of making a watermelon turtle for my niece's birthday party. She is such a doll, even with blue teeth!


First, I made one for Cameron's 8th birthday, and even re-used the shell at a family reunion several days later. Just wrap and keep in the fridge. Mr. Turtle has been a hit no matter where he goes...
not to mention delicious and refreshing!

What you will need:
  • An oblong seedless watermelon
  • vegetable peeler or a tool to carve ( I ended up using a flat head screwdriver)
  • fruit
  • Super Glue
  • Whole Peppercorns
  • toothpicks
  • melon ball scoop
  • dry erase marker
  • leaves from around your home
  • sharp knife
  • platter

How to Make the Turtle

Step 1: Gather your supplies.


Step 2: Wash all the fruit, including the watermelon.


Step 3: Cut the watermelon and using a melon ball scoop, scoop out the inside of the watermelon and set aside. I also put an old towel under the watermelon to catch the mess.

If you cannot find an oblong shaped seedless watermelon, pick out the seeds. I had not done that yet at this point. Put some watermelon away, so you will have room for other fruit.


Step 4: Now, that both sides of the watermelon are empty, use your melon ball scoop and scrape out the rest.


Step 5: Draw your body parts on one of the turtle shells and cut out. Lay the pieces aside.

Next, draw the shell. We are not aiming for perfection here...turtle shells are not perfect.


Step 6: Carve out the design you drew and set aside. It should look something like this...



Step 7: Fill the bottom shell with lots of colorful fruit!

Step 8: Grab a platter and some leaves. Place the fruit shell on the platter. Then chill until it is time to serve.


Step 9: Now for the body parts you set aside. Take the head and carve out two small holes for the eyes. Then, super glue two eyes on. (peppercorn)


Step 10: Attach the body parts using toothpicks.


Now enjoy the fruits of your labor! ;0P


I'm linking up with Jen from Tatortots and Jello.

29 comments:

shortmama said...

It is so cute!

He & Me + 3 said...

That looks fantastic and so yummy. I love fresh fruit and that turtle looks real. Love it.

Miller Racing Family said...

What a fabulous job. This little turtle just screams summer! I love how the shell looks so real. Great going, Mom!

John Deere Mom said...

Holy cow that looks like so much work! You did a great job...I don't think I would have the patience! :)

Unknown said...

that is the cutest thing ever!!!!

Carrie

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh my gosh!! That is absolutely amazing. I just know she was thrilled. What a generous thing to do - that had to take all day.

Macey said...

I remember your turtle from last year! Adorable!!

BSavvyPhotography said...

That is so dang cute. Thanks so much for sharing. I think I may have to try that.

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Thanks for showing us how to make it!

~Becca

Prior said...

I bet your niece loved that great turtle... I may do that for the fourth! Lezlee

Pam said...

Very cool. I would love some of that fruit about now.
Pam

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home said...

Hi! I love love love this turtle and am trying to think of a party I can take one to soon. Thanks for stopping to see my s'mores. Enjoy the week! :)

Alison

http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

Shawn said...

Too stinking cute!

Jen said...

So stinkin' cute! :D

Xazmin said...

I LOVE it! How stinkin' cute is that!

I am definitely going to have to try that out this summer!

Thanks for the tutorial!

Recaptured Charm said...

That's very clever and very cute! Must try this sometime!
Thanks for your visit today.
Lisa

heidi said...

Oh my gosh that is so COOL!!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

this is so cute! You did a great job.
Just stopped by to let you know that I will be featuring your blog on my Featured Followers Friday this week.
gail

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Rhonda... YOU ROCK! That is the most awesome watermelon creation ever! Thanks for your post on my blog! I'm excited to follow your journey. :)

~Margene

Unknown said...

The turtle is super cute and yummy too!

Michelle said...

That is too cute! I can't wait until I have an excuse to make one!!

~Michelle@this too! that

Jeannette said...

what a great idea, watermelon=summertime right?? thanks for sharing this.

Erin said...

This is so adorable! How much fun would this be to take to a potluck?!?!

What a great idea!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I've made watermelon "baskets" before, but not watermelon "turtles"! Cute idea - thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Michelle

Melinda said...

I love Mr. Turtle!! Adorable. Hope I get a chance to take him to a summer gathering (I need a break from the remodeling, right?! ;0) Thanks for your sweet and encouraging comments on my blog yesterday. Things are going more smoothly now. Still a lot of chaos in my home, but everyday brings us a little closer to order!

Jessa said...

THIS IS SO CUTE!!! I am going to have to copy it (and credit you)! Thanks for sharing it, my kids are going to love it.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh this is just SO cute! I have to give this a try for our next family get together.

Great tutorial too! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am here with an-unusal request...I am in the process of putting togethre a cook book for fundraising for the Cancer Council in Canberra, Australia. And I posted this pic on my facebook page and one of the ladies asked if the details would be in the cook book...so I am here to ask if it is ok if I use the photo and receipe/instructions :) You can email me on - julieucw@gmail.com
thanking you in advance xx

DBradley5 said...

I had just bought a watermelon the day before and saw your creation and said I have to do that. It was a mini watermelon but it turned out great. I was excited about doing it.
Thanks for the tutorial and the great idea.